My fellow advocates,
Over the past few weeks, the refugee crisis caused by ongoing conflict in Iraq and Syria has gripped the world. As tens of thousands of people continue to risk their lives to flee violence and economic devastation in these regions, Canada has an obligation to reassess and change dramatically our approach to this issue in order to both help put a stop to the violence and to provide humanitarian assistance to the millions of displaced peoples from the region.
As neighbouring countries tighten their border controls, forcing refugees to undertake increasingly dangerous actions in order to escape the violence and terror they face at home, the potential for human tragedy increases. In light of this, it is especially important for our government to take rapid and decisive action to increase humanitarian aid to affected populations. To pursue this aim, STAND Canada is asking for our supporters’ help in putting pressure on those within Canada’s government who have the ability to make an immediate impact in the lives of refugees.
Please take a few moments to send an email on STAND’s website to the following members of the federal government:
- The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, Prime Minister
- The Honourable Rob Nicholson, Minister of Foreign Affairs
- The Honourable Chris Alexander, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration
- The Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie
As evidenced by the rising death toll from the crisis, the need to resettle refugees is of the utmost urgency. However, Canada’s resettlement efforts have thus far been dismally slow, and inadequate to the scale of the problem. In order to fulfill Canada’s international promises, the Government MUST:
- create a fast-tracking program to process refugee claims quicker; work with municipalities and private entities to facilitate refugee sponsorships;
- collaborate with local NGOs for the provision of aid and assistance once refugees have arrived in Canada; and
- urge their European counterparts to deal with the influx of refugees in a humane and compassionate fashion.
For further information, please read STAND Canada’s policy paper on this urgent issue.
Executive Director, STAND Canada