Join STAND Canada’s Communications Team as a Blog Writer!
About STAND Canada
STAND Canada is a national advocacy organization with chapters across the country that advocates to make preventing and ending genocide a cornerstone of Canadian domestic and foreign policy. We are dedicated to providing Canadians with the educational and advocacy tools that they need to take action toward a world without genocide.
Since its founding in 2005 in response to the crisis in Darfur, Sudan, STAND has become the leading organization in Canada for youth-led anti-genocide advocacy. With university chapters across Canada, our volunteers are driven by our joint vision and passion for human rights, political advocacy, genocide education, and the social responsibility of Canadians. STAND Canada currently has four focus regions: Darfur/Sudan, Iraq/Syria, South Sudan, and Myanmar.
As a volunteer for STAND, you will get to work on the following projects and campaigns in 2019:
- Commemoration of the 25th Anniversary of the Rwandan Genocide - Educational Campaign
- 2019 Federal Election Campaign
- Spring Conference - for strategic planning purposes
- Website redevelopment
- Ongoing projects and work on anti-genocide, Canadian foreign policy, and non-partisan politics
We ask for a commitment of at least a year, particularly for our senior roles. If you are unsure of your schedule for the next year, we still encourage you to apply as we are happy to discuss your time commitment to STAND.
As a Blog Writer, you are responsible for creating and contributing to blog posts that address current developments and historical events pertaining to genocide and Canadian foreign policy. You will be working closely with the Communications Director to keep voters and politicians updated.
Time Commitment: 5 hours per week
Key Responsibilities of a Blog Writer
STAND Canada has four focus regions: Darfur/Sudan, Iraq/Syria, South Sudan, and Myanmar. Each Blog Writer is responsible for contributing to blog posts that react to current developments and events that pertain to genocide and Canadian foreign policy. You will be working closely with the Communications Director to keep Canadians, other NGOs, and politicians updated. The blog posts are posted on standcanada.org, distributed to our mailing list, and shared on social media.
Blog Writers will be expected to:
- Understand STAND’s mission, audience, and message and research and write blog posts about different issues that concern the organization and its focus areas (Sudan, South Sudan, Iraq & Syria and Myanmar);
- Write about current STAND campaigns and how they are relevant to the conflicts in our interest areas;
- Provide feedback and ideas for other blog content suggestions, ie historical genocide, news updates on transitional justice and memorialization programs, create overviews of conferences, podcasts, videos and other supplementary communications materials;
- Contribute to long-form content projects;
- Conduct analyses to improve blog strategies/tactics;
- Seek tactics to increase audiences to our website and expand our network of newsletter subscribers;
- Respond to blog comments and emails in a timely and courteous fashion;
- Communicate with and respond to STAND Directors’ emails and messages in a timely manner;
- Take interest and actively participate more broadly in other aspects of STAND, such as attending virtual town halls or communications team calls, as required;
- Stay informed of the policy developments and on-the-ground developments of the situation in Darfur/Sudan, South Sudan, Iraq/Syria, and Myanmar;
- Stay informed of comments made by politicians pertaining to genocide/human rights.
The ideal candidate will have some or all of the following skills, knowledge, and experience :
- Writing, editing, and proofreading skills – Ability to communicate complex ideas and situations into layman’s terms (a writing sample will be requested);
- Be able to work on-call and respond to Directors’ requests, react to current events and disseminate information to our audiences in a timely manner;
- Responsible, reliable, and self-motivated individuals, capable of working in a virtual team environment on their own time with minimal supervision, meeting deadlines, and answering emails within 48 hours;
- Human rights (specifically genocide).
STAND Canada is a leading organization for youth-led political advocacy. We were created by and for youth, providing real opportunities for you to pursue your passion for human rights advocacy and learn along the way in a supportive, friendly environment.
Our work environment appeals to responsible, reliable, and self-motivated team-players, capable of working in a virtual team environment on their own time, meeting deadlines, and answering emails within 48 hours. Our work is completed through our online project management software and Google Suite with meetings conducted through video conference calls. As such, you can volunteer from anywhere with a good internet connection.
Volunteer with STAND!
To apply, please fill out the application form. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis as they are received and will close when we have filled the position.
Please visit http://standcanada.org/volunteer to see all volunteer opportunities available. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you know people who are looking for volunteering opportunities in a flexible, forward-thinking environment with the skills, experience, and interests we're looking for, please share this posting with them.